Life in the Sprung

Life. Life's absurdities. And TV news in the most powerful city in the world. Blogging 8 miles north of the White House

Saturday, February 18, 2006

18 February 2006


The Washington Post had an interesting piece in yesterday's Style section about American figure skater Johnny Weir. The story is here. The boy is BEYOND gay, but won't come out and say so. I usually don't agree with that sort of thing, but I can understand his decision after reading the article. And you know what? He doesn't HAVE to. It would be one thing if he was totally closeted or living some kind of "double" life. The kid wears sequins, he's obsessed with Christina Aguilera, and calls himself a "diva." But I respect Johnny for not giving into demands (mostly by the media) that he "define" himself, so middle America can dismiss him or put him in a neat little box. I think he thinks he's beyond that: "I am who I am, and I don't need to justify anything to anyone." Right on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home